Monday, October 27, 2008

Peer Pressure

I guess the term I'm really looking to use is peer influence. Because pressure makes it sounds as if you have to do something and influence makes you want to do something. I've been thinking about what makes me do the things I do and why I have these opinions of mine. I came to the conclusion that it is because of years of peer influence. Yesterday in church we were talking about using cloth diapers and another lady replied that she would never had thought to use them and she doesn't want to take the time to recycle. Then we mentioned the use of the reusable bags for the grocery store and how wonderful they are. It got her thinking that maybe, just maybe she would try it out. We didn't pressure her to use them, we only suggested trying it to see if she would like it. "Going Green" one step at a time. I think about all the things I have tried and all the things I do and it reminds me of the people who have been my friends and have taught me these things. I wouldn't know how to cook if it weren't for a friend who was willing to take some time and show me a few things, even though it was after the fact that she laughed at my inabilities. I wouldn't be a stay-at-home mom if it weren't for some friends who convinced me it isn't all that bad and I wouldn't get bored of it and that it is okay to still shower everyday and look nice even if no one but my family sees me. I wouldn't read good books at night if it weren't for some good friends who started a book club and invited me. I wouldn't be shopping now at Savers for clothes for me and the kids if it weren't for some good friends who show off all of their good finds at remarkably cheap prices. I wouldn't be trying to get a long-term food supply going if it weren't for some friends who are trying to do it also. I truly am grateful for all of the friends who give great peer influence. You never know who is watching and listening and who you could be influencing.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I just got in the door from kickboxing with you and read this. It got me thinking. It is nice to have good friends who make it easier to be the person you want to be. Thanks for the insight. You are a great example yourself.

Nancy Campbell Allen said...

Wow, Jewels, your post made me all misty-eyed. Loved it, and you're so right. Peer Influence is the perfect term for it.

Love you too, Amy!

We in Minnesota said...

I am so glad I am related to you. You are very insightful and smart. I think you are amazing.

Unknown said...

I would like to defend myself. I DO recycle, I just don't love the time it takes. And nobody recycled or thought about being green when most of my kids were babies.